God's Divine Purpose



I can't really keep up with when the Christian god is acting on his divine purpose and when it's the anti-Christ or the devil or whatever. Christians of late have been yammering away about how Trump is some divinely appointed agent who has been sent to enact his divine purpose whatever that may be - but I suspect they mean crack down on LGBTQ rights recently won and abolition of abortion or at least creating harsher penalties for women who seek one out. 

Today RightWingWatch.org posted a video of Rick Joyner who tells us we should all "watch" and see "what God does in these days." He thinks everybody who goes against him will fall and "Trump isn't going anywhere."

Now, I'm no oracle or prophet, so I have no idea what is going to happen, so this isn't actually about Trump or any politicians. I'm actually more curious about Christians who claim to have all this divine knowledge. It seems odd to me in 2017 to read about and listen to so many people declare what god is doing, going to do, has done.

I have not seen any evidence of this god beyond some vague good feelings of "spirituality" when I was a Christian. He never conveyed any message to me about social issues, politics, or even my own purpose in life. I've heard some Christians say that their god hasn't talked to me because I didn't do the right ritual, say the right prayer, or use the right word to address him. I didn't get "born again," or "saved" or whatever. I think this is a cop-out for an all-powerful god. When I was genuinely searching for the truth of religion and I believed in god, why did he play coy?

I reject this notion that god requires some magic password like you're hacking into the mainframe. Here is this supposed all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful god who knows I believe, who knows I want to know what he wants, who knows that I'm ready to do that, and he plays hide-and-seek? He needs the one true magic word? And some people are just lucky enough to have that magic word? Truly what power we witness!

Another reason to reject this particular explanation is that different believers have different magic passwords. Other Catholics claim their rites are the key, others that you have to "hit your knees," still others that you have to do some public witness and accept Jesus in your heart. Basically, different people have different results, so who's right? How can you tell?

Returning to Joyner and his declarations that we should watch what god is going to do, it's interesting that he is not very specific. Any politician who does some action perceived as anti-Trump who then has a tragedy or does not get re-elected or, I don't know, just gets some bad press, can be pointed to as proof of the veracity of Joyner's thoughts.

I have trouble knowing if people like Joyner are sincere or if they need to find something to say into a microphone to remain relevant and get paid. It doesn't matter, really, the effect is the same: we have more irrational discourse in our society that distracts us from solving real problems.

Comments

Popular Posts