Meme Madness Monday - August 7

What?

As I look at all the Christian memes against atheism, I think Yahweh should definitely have included a chapter in Leviticus addressing this abomination. I mean, for a people following an all-knowing, all-loving god, you would think they would have good pithy arguments to put on a picture of Willy Wonka or Kermit sipping tea, but alas, this is not the case.

Starting with the meme at the top: "Not 100% sure God doesn't exist, but that's all the proof I need - Atheism."

Well, I grant this one is trying to make an argument, but that doesn't mean it makes sense. Do we need 100% certainty in anything? Is the fact that I am allowing for a .000000009% chance of some god existing somewhere compelling enough for belief?

And do I really need to say that certainty is not proof?

I don't see any evidence whatsoever for a god - same for unicorns, Bigfoot, or the Loch Ness monster - should I believe in them too?

"Arguments" like the one in this meme are a bit worrisome. I mean, are you going to just accept any claim with flimsy evidence because you're not 100% certain? What won't you believe then?







Meme #2: "Oh you're an atheist and I'm the one shoving my beliefs down your throat."

I'm not sure what point this meme is making. Does the mere existence of atheists mean they are forcing anything on you?

Oh, and atheism is not a "belief." It's a rejection of theistic claims. 

I guess the "argument," and I say that loosely, is that atheists want to insure a separation of church and state, and secular groups petition or sue for equal access or for the removal of religious symbols from public land. I don't see how that is shoving any belief of anything down your throat. During the Christmas season, I see churches and homes with mangers and "Keep Christ in Christmas." No one is petitioning to remove them because that is private land. 

I guess some people just need reassurance all the freakin' time.





Meme 3: "Ridicules beliefs - Enjoys holidays"

Wait, lacking a belief in god means I can't enjoy holidays? When did belief in some deity become a pre-requisite for enjoying holidays?

I'm so confused.


Meme 4: "So you don't believe in absolutes - so you absolutely don't belief in absolutes"

I'm not sure what absolutes have to do about anything. Has someone said that? Again with the 100% certainty!

That's it for meme madness Monday! Have a great week!


Comments

Popular Posts